This is a Civil Defense Message for Tuesday, May 29 at 12:00 noon.
Highway 132 is closed from Lava Tree State Park to Four Corners due to a lava flow approaching the highway. Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports the lava is flowing about 100 yards from the road.
Due to the lava activity the following policies are in effect:
- Only residents with placards are allowed to access Highway 137 beyond Four Corners.
- Residents close to any volcanic activity should remain alert and be prepared to voluntarily evacuate if necessary.
- If lava breaches Highway 132, the area along the highway; Vacationland and Kapoho Beach lots will experience an extended power outage.
The following is provided for your information:
- Today’s community meeting at the Pahoa High School Cafeteria begins ½ hour earlier at 5 in the evening.
- The Dept. of Health has changed the venue for tomorrow’s meeting to discuss vog and ash exposure in the Kau District. It will be at the Robert Herkes Gym and Emergency Shelter in Pahala at 5:30 in the evening.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense Agency.