This is a Civil Defense Message for Wednesday, May 30 at 8:00 in the morning.
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that lava from several fissures continues to advance toward the Kapoho area. Residents of Kapoho Beach Lots, Vacationland and Waa Waa are advised to evacuate. You are at risk of being isolated due to possible lava inundation of Beach Road near Four Corners.
- Due to the lava activity the following policies are in effect:
- Flows are advancing on Highway 137, approaching Beach Road. Beach Road is restricted to resident traffic from Four Corners to Hawaiian Beaches to allow continued evacuations.
- Cell Phone and Telephone landline communications in the Kapoho area have been severely limited due to downed power and telephone lines. Please contact friends and relatives to make sure they’re safe.
- Highway 132 is closed.
- Stay tuned to local radio stations for updates from Civil Defense.
Due to changing conditions, the following is provided for your information:
- NE trade winds have returned and will continue to send VOG toward Ocean View and Kona.
- High concentrations of volcanic gasses are still present in the Leialani Estates area, where fissures continue to create high fountains of lava.
- Residents close to any volcanic activity should remain alert and be prepared to voluntarily evacuate if necessary.
- The Pahoa Community Center, Keaau Community Center, and Sure Foundation Church are open. The shelters are pet friendly.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.
This is your Hawai‘i County Civil Defense Agency.