Hilo Medical Center spokesperson Elena Cabatu has provided an update on Hilo Medical Center and the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home, which is also part of the East Hawaii Region of the Hawaii Health Care System.
There are 18 COVID-19-positive patients hospitalized at Hilo Medical Center; 5 in the ICU, 13 in the COVID Unit. Sadly, there is one new death reported today, for a total of 15 deaths on the island from COVID-19–14 who had been residents at the Yukio Okutsu Veterans Home, and one other patient.
Both Hilo Medical Center and Yukio Okutsu Veterans Home are using COVID-19 control measures to try to contain the spread of the virus. Visitors are admitted only under specific circumstances.
The HMC update follows:
We would like to send out a “shout out” of support for our fellow healthcare providers, nurses and aides at the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home. We know each and every member of the home’s staff is trying their very best to care for their resident veterans.
HILO MEDICAL CENTER UPDATE (as of 4:30 pm on Tuesday, September 15, 2020)
- 18 total COVID-positive patients are hospitalized: 5 in ICU, 13 in COVID Unit
o Yesterday’s COVID-positive long term care resident in our Extended Care Facility has been admitted for care to the COVID Unit.
o 62 staff and 32 residents have been tested, results pending. Another round of tests are scheduled for this Friday, September 18.
o Admissions to our Extended Care Facility are paused until this situation is resolved.
o For incidents of Patient Under Investigation (PUIs) and COVID-positive results after admission, contact tracing and testing continues for affected staff.
- 1 death related to COVID-19 occurred at the hospital on September 8, 2020. This death is unrelated to Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home.
YUKIO OKUTSU STATE VETERANS HOME UPDATE (as of 4:30 pm on Tuesday, September 15, 2020, reported by Avalon Healthcare, the veterans home’s managing company)
- A total of 68 residents and 30 employees have tested positive for COVID-19
- 4 residents are hospitalized at Hilo Medical Center
- 34 total residents are cared for at the veterans home’s COVID designated area
- 16 residents and 5 employees have recovered
- 1 death to report today related to COVID-19 at the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home.
o 14 total resident deaths related to COVID-19 have occurred. We offer our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones.
- For additional information, go to: https://ahcupdates.info/hilo-covid19-update
CHECK OUT: East Hawaii Region Fact Sheet on testing, beds, ventilators, and PPE resources (as of Friday, September 11)
15 total deaths related to COVID-19 have occurred – 14 from the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home and 1 unrelated to the veterans home.
Photo is the COVID Safety Crew, on duty at the hospital